Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Annabelle's first adventure

Well, we have a new computer now so I don't have my pictures loaded yet, but I thought that I would write a post about our trip to Utah. Annabelle and I ventured to Utah last Wed. night to go to my cousin Rachel's wedding on the 15th. So off we went with Annabelle securely in her sling. The day started off on the wrong note with my airline switching to a new terminal the day before, which wasn't that big off a deal it just meant lots of extra walking with a baby in a sling, an overloaded diaper bag containing anything I could possibly need (including extra clothes for me just in case), and a suitcase that turned out to weigh 50.5 lbs. I found this out when I trekked over to the new gate and was told that my suitcase was overweight. After staring at him and politely reminding him that it was .5 lbs, and then asking him to weigh it again, it weighed 50 this time and we were off.

To all of you who hate to travel next to children, please remember that children are people too and given that the average women is bearing children for around 10 years of her life, we cannot be expected to remain at home in our houses for ten years of our lives. We all know it's annoying, but please don't look directly at us, roll your eyes, sigh loudly and then say "well I guess I'm the winner." It really makes us feel awkward. As a mother I know I'm biased but I have to say that my baby was especially cute and good on that flight in spite of the meanie sitting next to us. We then moved on to our next flight which was three hours long, after 2 min. of crying she slept the entire flight. Our whole journey house to house took 13 hours and she was such a trooper, smiling most of the time.

We had fun staying with Jane, Ella, and Matt although Annabelle didn't do much sleeping. Jane was a doll with Annabelle and constantly called to me to do things or see things by requesting that "Monique's house" come too, as this somehow had become my full name. It was great to see family and let Annabelle spend some time with her Nana. My cousin was married in the Bountiful temple which was beautiful.

Flying home was a little louder, as Annabelle had developed an ear infection the day before flying home. Thankfully, I sat next to the perfect traveling companion who told me when she sat down that she had eight grand kids all under the age of eight and that she loved kids. Ahh, thank goodness. She was a godsend, taking things out of my diaper bag and packing it back up during the four hour flight, and just smiling at me when Annabelle was screaming rather than glaring at me. After a 1 1/2 hour ride home, we were home again! It was a crazy but fun five days and it went better than I could have hoped with a four month old in tow every where I went. Pictures to follow shortly.....

No comments: