Friday, October 7, 2011

My six year old may be smarter than me...

Jackson said to me today as we were enjoying some ice cream, "I think kids may be smarter than adults." Hmm, I asked him why he thought that and he said, "Because, we are in school and know lots of things and adults aren't." I explained to him that we all used to be in school and then gave myself a little pat on the back by explaining to him that Mommy had lots of school and college which was even harder school. He did not seem convinced and thought for a second and then said, " Well, then tell me something you know." I wasn't sure what he was going for and frankly felt a little put on the spot. "About what?" I asked. "How about some things that I don't already know about bats?" Umm, I was in trouble. " How about that they bounce sound waves off of objects so that they no where things are as they fly in the dark?" "I already knew that." I thought that was pretty good and had nothing else. He proceeded to rattle off a list of little known facts about bats being the only mammals that fly, the foods they eat, etc... "Well you do know alot about bats but adults know lots of stuff about other things too," I told him. "Like what, tell me something you know?" I don't know why but I could think of nothing relevant that I could possibly know. Jackson decided to fill in the topic, "Why don't you tell me something about elephants?" I stared at him blankly feeling dumber by the minute. "How about how they are the only mammal that cannot jump?" Oh. He then said, "I think maybe it's that adults used to be smart when they were in school too but that you guys forgot all of that stuff you learned because it was long ago." I could only agree with him. Next time I'm going to through some multiplication tables at him to level the field a little.

No comments: